My journey through life on a Budget shared with friends and family. Find deals on the go through my facebook page and pinterest!

Monday, July 21, 2014

How to clean your oven for under $1!

TO SEE MORE TIDBITS CLICK HERE!
Like it? Pin it to Pinterest!

OK. You put it off long enough. It is time to clean your oven. For us that don't have *self cleaning ovens, this task can be dreadful. 
I found an easy way to clean your oven for under $1! This may be a FREE project if you already have baking soda, dishwashing detergent, and window cleaner. I usually stock up in baking soda during Thanksgiving and or Christmas time when they are always under $1! Most of us already have the window cleaner and dishwasher detergent on hand:)
*if you have a self cleaning oven do not use cleaning aids unless you check your manual first. It might remove the finish and never self clean again!

WHAT YOU NEED:
baking soda (at least 1 cup)
a bottle of water
rubber gloves
old dish cloth, damp
old sponge or cleaning sponge
dishwasher detergent
(windex)
(silicone brush optional)


INSTRUCTIONS:
It is best to start this task at night so it can sit for at least 12 hours. 

First, remove your oven racks and set them in your tub. Put up drain stopper and run hot water while adding 1/2 cup of dishwasher detergent. When racks are covered in hot water and dish detergent has disolved, turn off and let sit overnight.

Next, pour 1 cup of baking soda in a bowl and add 7-8 tablespoons water and mix until a bit runny. 

Here is the consistency.

Take a picture of your dirty oven before to compare. (You can't see my feet or my tile!)


Glob onto spilled areas in your oven. May use silicone brush to brush over door, glass window, and sides of oven. If your oven is really dirty like mine, may need more. I just sprinkled baking soda in the parts I missed and used a bottle of water with my finger covering the the top letting a small amount of water coming out. 

Leave overnight or at least 12 hours.


Now that is is morning it is time to see the magic! First, put on gloves. (I did not do this part at first and I got cut by a metal shard:( Get an old dish cloth and wet it in warm or hot water and start wiping away! The big clumps will come right off. Discard the big clumps in your garbage can and rinse rag and repeat until all the clumps are gone.
Then scrub the remaining parts with a sponge and use a rag to remove clumps. I had to scrub the glass pretty hard. All the nasty overspill is now gone! I still have some hard grease streaks, but my oven was sooooo dirty it is now soooo much better! Who knows what my 4 boys blew up in there! LOL. 

Continue wiping until all the baking soda residue is gone. I sprayed the door and glass window with windex to get an extra shine. This is optional. (You can now see my feet and tile!) 

Finally go to the bathtub and use a sponge or a scrubber to scrub the grease off your racks. I was amazed how quickly the grime came off! (You can also soak your burn pans in the sink with the same steps as the oven racks:) Rinse well, dry, and put back in oven. See how they sparkle:) Take a picture to compare!

Become part of my family today!
Join Extremely Easy Couponing on
Facebook!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment