My journey through life on a Budget shared with friends and family. Find deals on the go through my facebook page and pinterest!

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Jello Fruit Salad Recipe

Like this recipe? Pin it to Pinterest!
Find more EASY recipes HERE!

This is a family favorite every year in our house. Plus there is fruit in it so it is healthy...right?
You can use any flavor of Jello and make it for any holiday!

Ingredients:
12oz. of Jello (4-3oz or 2-6oz......2 different flavors are best! - I used 2-3oz. cranberry and 2-3oz. strawberry)
boiling water
cold water
4 cans fruit cocktail (about 60oz.), DRAINED IN STRAINER WELL!
cool whip
(canned mandarin oranges) optional 

Directions:

Mix Jello according to packages in a large glass/metal serving bowl BUT HALF THE WATER AMOUNTS! (Do not use plastic or will taste like plastic).
(If it asks for 2 cups of boiling water, add 1, if it asks for 1 cup cold water use 1/2 cup. The fruit cocktail has moisture and will become runny if you do not half the water.)
Set in fridge until it thickens a bit. Can be anywhere between 2-4 hours (so make ahead of time!) You want to be able to stick a spoon in it and not be runny...you can see the jiggle on the picture below where I ran my spoon through it. 

When the Jello has begun to set, drain all 4 cans of fruit cocktail in a strainer, stirring several times assuring as much moisture as possible is out.

Then add fruit cocktail to the jello bowl.

Stir with rubber spatula several times until well blended scraping the sides (remember the Jello has begun to harden so need to scrape all areas of the bowl to evenly distribute the fruit!) Set back into the fridge until hardens completely 2-4 more hours. I make this the night before so it sets all night long, so not want to risk runny jello:)

Can top with cool whip and decorate with mandarin oranges! (I forgot to take the picture before in was consumed:) 

Did you make this? I would love to hear about it!

Join my family of savings!
Follow 
Extremely Easy Couponing on Facebook!
Did you snag this Deal?
I’d love to hear about your experience!

7 comments:

  1. I have made this for years,it's what my parents made every year for the Christmas Holiday. My kiddo's LOVE Jello everything. Yummy is what they say every time during this year. Thanks for sharing, such a similar recipe my Parents and Grandma had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, but what size bowl did you make this in? I'm looking for a recipe to fit a 9x13 dish for a funeral reception. This was a favorite dish of the deceased, and I need to make lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss. I made it in a Pyrex large glass bowl. I made enough for a feast of 20 and there was lots left over. I have never tried in a 9X13 casserole, so I just filled up my bowl that I used in the picture with water and dumped it into the 9X13 dish and it fits! There might be a bit extra, but you could put it into a little dish, but it is definitely enough for the dish. Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. It helps a great deal, thank you. I appreciate your swift response. I'll give it a try!

      Delete
  3. When making this do you boil half the water that it calls for and half the cold water?

    ReplyDelete