My journey through life on a Budget shared with friends and family. Find deals on the go through my facebook page and pinterest!

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Arroz Caldo (rice porridge) recipe

Like it? Pin it to Pinterest!
See more recipes HERE!

This is a Filipino Recipe, one of my husbands favorites, but I have come to love it too! I say you have to give it a try! We cook it for lunch or dinner often, especially if someone is sick:) It tastes more like a thick rice, ginger, and chicken soup, not like porridge you would eat for breakfast.
Let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
2tbls. olive oil
1/2 large onion, diced (or 1 small)
2 cloves crushed garlic
ginger (use about 2 inches, about the size of your pointer finger), fresh cut in thin slices
12 chicken wings, cut and discard tips (or 24 pieces of mixed wing/leg)
7 cups of water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups sweet rice (can use regular white rice, but tastes better with the sweet, makes it thicker)
1 tbls. patis (fish sauce) (optional, but highly recommended, just gives flavor, wont take like fish, I promise!)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:



(1) In a large pot, heat oil on medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook about 3 minutes. Add chicken pieces and patis (fish sauce) and cook 5-7 minutes until start to brown.
(2) Add water, bouillon, and rice and bring to a boil.
(3) Simmer and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is no longer hard, stirring about every 5-7 minutes to assure rice is not sticking. Will thicken the longer it sits.
*I have never had to use more water, but you can if it becomes too thick.
ENJOY!

Join my family of savings!
Follow 
Extremely Easy Couponing on Facebook!
Did you snag this Deal?
I’d love to hear about your experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment