My journey through life on a Budget shared with friends and family. Find deals on the go through my facebook page and pinterest!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Recipe - Home made Calamari


Calamari Home Made!

I love trying to things! I cook many Filipino dishes (if you are interested in recipes let me know!) Anyway, we were shopping at Seafood City for some Filipino food ingredients when I came across fresh squid for $1.99/lb. I noticed that premade Calamari was at least $10 for 2lbs. so I went on a quest to make my own!

I bought 2lbs. of fresh squid at $1.99/lb, and a packet of flour used for Calamari (it was not in English, but it said for Calamari, you can find which ever you like) for $1.29.  I used half the bag so I made Calamari for under $5! It was enough to feed 7 people!

The down side was it took 2.5 hours to prepare and cook, but it was fun for the whole family…fun if you like gutting fishJ

CLEANING THE SQUID



I Googled different videos on you tube to find one that would work for me, I suggest you do the same, I will try and give you steps but the visual really helped!

(1) Fill a large pot of cold water and set aside. Put fresh squid and cutting board on left side of sink. Put a double plastic bag on the right side of the sink for the discard parts.

(2) Lay the squid tentacles to the right on a cutting board. Cut right below the eye. Pick up the tentacles and squeeze the part you just cut. A circular hard beak should pop out (if not you may have cut if off, especially on the smaller ones.) Then take your fingernail and scrape the film off all the tentacles. (On the smaller ones it’s not needed). Put cleaned tentacles in pot of water.

(3) Hold the body of the squid in your left hand, gently pull the eyes and the rest of the innards out (should come out all-together, if not you have to search it outJ Discard into bag.

(4) At the opening you will find a hard edge (the cuttlebone (like a spine) loosen it from the fish and gently pull. The whole cuttlebone will come out. If it isn’t as long as the squid, it broke, you will need to fish it out!

(5) Next take your fingernail and scrape the skin off the body, should come off easily, discard. Cut into rings, make sure the insides are completely clean, add to pot of water.

INGREDIENTS
Fresh Squid (2lbs.) (cleaned and cut, see above)
Calamari flour mix (about 1 cup, add more if need)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Cooking oil
1 gallon Zip-lock bag

DIRECTIONS

(1) Drain cleaned, cut fresh squid (2lbs.) Pat dry.

(2) Put 1 cup frying flour mixture in 1 gallon plastic bag, add salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Shake. Add ALL squid (if 2lbs or less) and shake to coat.

(3) Heat about 1” inch oil in frying pan on medium-high heat.

(4) Place the Calamari evenly in the hot oil. The Calamari in the bag may be lumped together, take it out with tongs and add to hot oil. Separate in the oil. Cook about 5 minutes or until crispy and light brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

(5) Repeat until all is cooked.

(6) Serve with sweet chili sauce.

Never Miss a Deal Again!

Join Extremely Easy Couponing on Facebook!




No comments:

Post a Comment